Monday, September 10, 2007

Blog Transfer, 5-26-2007

So my current writing assignment is to write one scene from my story. My instructor wants me to pick an emotional scene, told from the point of view of my protagonist, and limit it to about 1000 words. Okay, I thought. I have two scenes that I can choose from, and each one can go in one of two different directions, so that's four that I can choose from. So I outlined the four scenes and where each one could potentially go, and chose the one I wanted to work. As I was writing it, however, a whole brand new scene came to mind and that's actually the one I'm working on.
My problem? I have absolutely no experience in this area and I don't know what to do!


I know what you're thinking..."We don't know what your story's about so how can anyone reading this possibly help you??" Okay, here's a summary (I promised one once, didn't I?):

My protagonist, "Kris" ran away from home. Well, she was in her mid-twenties so legally, she's not a runaway. She left her family and moved across the country to start her own life and never told her family she was going. To them, she's a missing person. She could be dead, she could be the prisoner of some deranged maniac, she could have amnesia and be wandering around some city somewhere...you get the picture.

Anyway, here we are, four years after the deed, and one of her neighbor's teenaged children has run away. She naturally goes to over to offer support, help in the search, whatever she can do. The teen is found after about two hours and is returned home. The teen's dad reacts like I think a dad would react...first he's angry that she would scare them, then relief that she's safe. Kris returns to her home and has to deal with her own feelings of guilt over what she did to her family.

That's what I really need help with. I had a pretty normal childhood and never really seriously thought about running away from home (okay, once, but I only got as far as the bus stop on the corner, I had no money, no idea where the bus was going and no idea where I wanted to go, so I turned around and went home). I need to figure out what emotions, what turmoil, what angst Kris would go through in the aftermath of this situation. I've never been there myself, so I have no experience to draw from.

If anyone reading this (is anyone reading this??) has any thoughts or suggestions, I would love to hear them. Oh, and I have to send it in in two weeks....yeah, no pressure

No comments: